Sunday, January 8, 2012

mushroom house




I finally built the house of my dreams... A little toadstool house.
I had been wanting to make one for months now. I wanted it to be big enough and strong enough for the boys and I to play with.

This is how I made it...
I have used an upturned bucket for the stalk, removed the handle and cut the door out with a pair of old scissors. I then glued the cream coloured felt with pva glue.
For the mushroom roof I have used an upturned bamboo bowl that I found at the thrift store. I layered it with PVA to give it a little more strength, then I stretched the felt gently over the bowl and glued that down.
The inside of the bowl is filled with a form of paper mache...just scrunched paper and glue and then I have cut a circle of cardboard to fit just inside the bowl. This is glued down too.
The mushroom top is glued onto the bucket base.
Then I have added the polka dots and details...
All up it only took about an hour or so....and was lots of fun.
I was considering also cutting holes for the windows and making it a two levelled mushroom house by putting in a floor between the top of the door and bottom of the windows....Maybe I will try this with the next one I make :D
Perhaps the boys (at 18months) are a bit little for it as they delight in trying to pull off the polka dots (I guess that could be remedied by stitching instead of glueing). I know I will have lots of fun with it anyway.
I am just yet to make the little gnomes and pixies to live in the house...
:)

17 comments:

kirsty@shoproomstudio said...

ooooh! tis so cute.

x

Run Lori Run said...

That is the cutest thing I've ever seen!

ingrid said...

Adorable! I wish I was small enough to fit inside.

FabNicola said...

This is very cute and colorful. Simply adorable :)

Elizabeth said...

adorable project and lovely blog!

Nathaly said...

J'adore :)))) vraiment cute !!!

forgetmenotsblue said...

Just lovely!

ink.or.milk said...

Don't we all want to live in there?? ^^

Veggie Girl said...

thats so cool!
http://veggievictualia.blogspot.com/

Rebecca said...

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!! VERY CREATIVE!!!


I am new to the blogger world of sewing and crafts. I will be following your site! http://satinpieces.blogspot.com/

Have a lovely night!
Rebecca :)

Non Aussie Mom In Australia said...

so cute. u hv such talent!

Alice D... said...

very nice - great job! :)

Betty said...

For the little ones to decorate, do not glue on the dots, just cut them out. The felt will stick to itself and the dots become moveable.

Blossomnbird said...

Yes that's a lovely idea Betty...I have since made them little animals and extra flowers for them to decorate and play...like "fuzzy Felts"

Romanianmum said...

wOW YOU ARE VERY GOOD AT THIS! wELL DONE

The Custards said...

What a super idea - now if only my children were a little bit younger....

Bethany said...

Soooo cute!!!

http://bethsquidly.blogspot.com/